Thursday, November 6, 2008

Where Were You...

...on the GREATEST day America has ever seen?

I started my November 4th off running around doing pretty much nothing, but by 5pm, I was glued to NBC watching things unfold. I watched and waited and watched again as every state was counted. I had plans to attend a release party for Two One Five Magazine, which was being held at a swank new bowling ally, but the party didn't start until 9:00 so I kept the anticipation down with booze (lol...just kidding), but I was on edge.

By 8:00 pm I was restless, nervous, scared, anxious, and confused as to WHY anyone had voted for John McCain (sorry), but I was exuberant and ready to go. All dressed up in blue jeans, long sleeve tan shirt covered by my "THE PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY" (OBAMA) tee; I topped things off with a brown fedora and bottomed out in some green sweater boots (you guys getting the picture). I was full of color.

My girlfriend picked me up about 9:15 and we headed to the bowling alley. The place was jammed packed with a plethora of political guru's (in their own right). The place had a real urban/artsy feel with a bunch of 'Will-I-Am' types running around and unsurprisingly, every race and culture was present.

I sat, eat, drank, texted and laughed UNTIL the moment came when Barack Obama was declared the 44th President of the United States. The room burst into tears and cheers with a few jeers (there were some McCain folks in the house- who instantly grabbed their checks and bounced).

I still can't believe it's real, but I'll never forget that moment; where were you when change came to America? (seriously, I want to know where you guys were and what you were doing)

8 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

I was @ home with the kids [watching it on TV]...

Even though it was a school night, I let em' stay up WAY past midnight for the historic event.

It was truly astonishing to witness. :-)

Jazzy said...

I was at home watching TV and to be honest I was getting comfortable in the bed...thinking it would be a long night. I was totally unprepared and SHOOK, when I saw the following words on the TV screen, "Barack Obama is the 44th president". I'm getting chills just typing that.

I didn't believe I was reading correctly until the nabes started going crazy, and the phone started ringing. It's a night I'll never forget!

JustMeWriting said...

I KNOW THAT'S RIGHT... I'm still on my high.

Coko Mulan said...

I'm still on my high too! I was on the freewayleaving my mother's house going to my friend's apartment before going to a party. I thought it was going to be hours before they announced. My roommate was driving and we had to pull over on the freeway

Coko Mulan said...

I'm still on my high too! I was on the freewayleaving my mother's house going to my friend's apartment before going to a party. I thought it was going to be hours before they announced. My roommate was driving and we had to pull over on the freeway

anonymousnupe said...

I was all alone in front of the T.V. in the basement, so nervous that I was scarfing down some popcorn way too fast. Like Opinionated Diva, I was taken by surprise that victory came so early and so suddenly. Obama had jumped out to that early lead, and I assumed he was a lock. But then McCain's numbers started to creep upward while Obama's remained static. Next thing you know, 'round 11, instead of taking a few baby steps to reach 270, some more of those mid-west precincts closed and Obama's number went through the roof. I couldn't believe it was over. I couldn't believe it was just beginning.

What's up, JM-Dub?!

JustMeWriting said...

LOL... (Nupe) you STILL crack me the heck up. what's happ'n cap'n

Ralph Bishop said...

Loved reading this, thank you